Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

School Days & Genealogy

Like the song says "school days, school days, good old fashion school days. Reading and writing and Arithmetic" . And the song goes on. I remember when I was little oh so very very long ago. "grin"  I remember how excited and how nervous I was on the first day of school. Mom always made sure I had a new outfit to wear, new shoes, new dress, new coat. She kept on the tradition passed on by her mother. She told me that during her days, every spring and fall my grandmother would order their clothes from the old Eaton's Catalogues, she would order the clothes one size larger so that when the time came for the children to wear the clothes they would fit. In those days everyone wore hats, and Mom told me she remembers one year  grandmother had to go work and Mom waited for the order to arrive, as soon as it did, Mom got all dressed up, new dress, new stocking, new shoes and a new hat and she decided to walk to school thinking she had lots of time to get there. Arriving in school , she went inside and sat at her desk feeling so proud in her new outfit, she had barely sat down with the teacher rang the bell "Class Dismissed". Getting back to when I went to school, as I said the first day  I was nervous because I was having a new teacher and new classmates. I remember we had nuns teaching us, dressed in their black outfits,winter or summer, still in those black outfits. I often wondered if they were warm in those outfits. But it didn't stop them from doing things, I had a nun who used to go out at recess and play baseball with the kids (we used to call it bat the ball) and could this nun ever run. Back then it didn't cost as much as it does today to go to school, we didn't have to pay yearly fees like they do today. I don't know how parents with large families can afford it. And the higher the grades the more expensive it gets.  And we had no school buses to take us to school, and there were no school cancellations back then. I remember walking to school in a snowstorm, I would wear  skipants with my dress over them and Mom would tie a scarf over my mouth,along with mittens and a hat and off to school I went, over snow banks that back then were high and because I was little they seemed huge to me. Walking in the snow and sinking deep into it  but school was not cancelled and it was important to go.Once I got to school had to take off the skipants and the teacher would help with the scarf. I believe having a good education is a must, it is very important for the future. Now what does school have to do with genealogy? I went to the genealogy center a long while back and I found school papers that had my mother and my father listed with all the names of their classmates, age,grade, number of days absent, and the names of the teacher. I also found my first eight grades which I have copied and saved. These are good things to have and these are notes that should be added while doing our genealogy or family trees. I am sharing these stories with you so you will see that it would be nice for our grandchildren or great grandchildren to one day read about us, about our lives, our youth, our dreams ,our likes and dislikes and our favorite memories. Remember when we are gone, so are our memories so now is the time to write them down, and write them down in case someday we lose our memory.
Now as I usually do I would like to share a few products I created in my store at  http://www.zazzle.com/allicor*    Hope you liked todays blog . Until next time
Chow for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment