Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Talking about Strokes

Hello everyone, today I would like to blog about an illness that strikes so many families without warning. This is a stroke and it can hit you or me just as it strikes so many others. Why am I talking about strokes? Well my Mom just took a stroke a few days ago. What is a stroke? It is an injury to part of the brain and happens when something goes wrong with the flow of the blood to the brain. When an artery carrying blood to the brain is blocked then it stops the blood supply going to the brain. Different parts of your brain controls different body functions like talking , swallowing,moving your arms and legs.so when part of the brain is damaged it cannot send a message to that certain part of your body.There are two types of strokes  blood clot strokes or bleeding strokes. I am not sure which one of these Mom took yet. The warning signs of a stroke are  weakness, numbness is the face arms or legs,trouble speaking,vision problems,headaches or dizzyness, If you or someone you know have some of these symptom call 911 . Now my mom has the following: It is called TIA (transient ischemic attack)also known as a mini stroke.Most of these strokes last  for a short time can be 30 seconds to 10 minutes and some can last 24 hours. Most of these mini strokes leave no permanent damage. But it is important to seek help if you are having one.The proper medical treatment can reduce your chance of having another one. My mom was in the hospital having gall bladder stones removed ,she was ready to go home the day before her stroke, then around 1 am she took her mini stroke. It affected her left side which means she took the stroke on her right side. It affected her speech and the therapist will be working with her beginning tomorrow and she could not swallow and today she thinks she can swallow so tomorrow we may know. She can walk, she can write, so that is a blessing. I was amazed at how many stroke victims there was on her floor. My family and I each got a book explaning what happened, what the future holds (which is rehabilitation) helping Mom with her speech and giving her all our love and support. A stroke changes the lives of both the patient and the caregivers and there is a lot of help out there, there are social workers, nurses, dieticians, doctors  all there to help the patient and family along the way. OH and when I first got the book about strokes, I thought OH I cannot show this to MOM. But as I read the book it also talks to the patient and explains what happened to them and why? And what was going to be done to help them, and do you know that it is a good idea? I circled the part about the mini stroke and brought the book back to Mom and she is reading it, I told her now everything isn't  only for you there are some things that does not affect you. Now she has an idea and I think she is less afraid. Oh she must be afraid but this tells her the truth. And it is so very important support a stroke victim, talk to them, today I talked to my Mom about what's happening at my home, what's new with my sister and so on, just to let her know that this stroke doesn't change the way we talk and discuss things. So if you are a caregiver give your love one all the support you can, and if you are a patient, remember you are not alone, there are so many out there like you. Go with your caregiver or patient to a Stroke support group ,there you will see how others are coping and know that you are not alone.
Please keep my Mom in your prayers,
Have a great day
Allicor

No comments:

Post a Comment