Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Alex Haley of Roots

Alex Haley is the author of Roots. Did you know he sailed into Dalhousie New Brunswick? In the book It happened in New Brunswick by David Goss. I shall share some of what he wrote.

In August of 1988 Wharfinger Beezie Sullivan went to call on the captain of the Husky Vessel. Her job was to see that they treated the government property properly when they tied up at the wharf.. She remembered clearly the day that Alex Haley showed up on a ship that was loading paper for overseas markets from the huge town mill. It was customary she said to visit the captain on the ship to see if there was anything he needed while in port. On this occasion came a knock on the door and in walks in Alex Haley. “ I wonder if I can get a typewriter fixed while we’re docked “ he said to the captain. “ I know you” she said to Mister Haley and introduced herself. She told Mister Haley she could help him and went to see the typewriter. It was an old -fashioned one but she knew a man who could probably fix it. He came over and fixed the typewriter and never charged Alex Haley. Mister Haley liked the community so much that the following year he returned for a second helping of the hospitality of the villagers.Apparently Beezie said, Alex Haley served in the navy in WW11 maybe as a cook. After he became famous with his Roots book and TV show, he couldn’t get away from the news reporters ,or people who wanted him to be a speaker . He couldn’t even walk down the street without being recognized. So he would get on an ocean going vessel with his secretary Mister Simms so he could have solitude and write. While in Dalhousie he was taken on a tour of the village and tasted Salmon and Lobster. One of the residents gave him a whole salmon to put in the freezer on the ship. He autographed many books for the villagers. Once back on the ship he wrote to Sandy who had toured the village with him and to a Doreen: “ Dear Sandy and Doreen,Sandy will recall that visiting the airport, I used the chance to telephone my wife what a marvellous and unexpected pleasure I’d experienced in a town of which I never heard of called “ Dalhousie”. When I play it back in my mind my secretary Mister Simms and I were really given the red carpet treatment,eventually between yourself and Beezie. I want now to express to you directly that this past two days will stick with me and much more than some passing memory. You are, all whom I have met such unusual and warmly hospitable and generous people. Right now I am looking at my two jars of preserves! I truly look forward to returning next year on the Maria Gorthon and I will think of your family ( including two stray dogs and killer cat)many times before then.

Alex (Find the good and Praise it).

I would recommend this book by David Goss, there are lots of interesting stories in it.

I hope you enjoyed todays blog. And please stop by and see my genealogy products and more at

http://www.zazzle.com/allicor
* Genealogy = Family Trees= Ancestor= Where we come from.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment