Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Alzheimers Disease

What is Alzheimers? Who can get Alzheimers? Is it catching?  Well in my medical book here is what it says; Alzeimers's disease is a progressive disorder of the brain causing loss of memory or serious mental deterioration. Back then the medical book said little is known about the cause of the disorder but research shows that nerve endings in the cortex of the brain degenerate and disrupt the passage of electrochemical signals between the cells.Under the microscope  this area can be seen and they are called "plaques". Plus the nerve cells themselves develop abnormal fibers called "neurofibrillary tangles. The more placques and tangles the greater the disturbance in interlectual function and memory loss.  This disease isn't contagious but there are some cases that they follow in the family. For example I believe my husband grandmother had it ,she died in an asylum and we were told she was insane, and my late husband had Alzheimers and now his sister has it. They estimated that 2 to 3 percent of the population over 60 years of age will get it. Usually they detect Alzheimers by eliminating other illnesses have been ruled out such as brain tumors,strokes,infections,and alchoholism.What are the symptoms?  Well in my late husband's case, he was an electrician and a good one and usually in about 15 minutes he had a lamp repaired or a plug installed. I noticed it was taking him longer to do these things. And then his driving I noticed he was making mistakes instead of being on the right side of the road he would cross on the left side. 
Here are some of the signs that could be Alzheimers if your love ones has some of these see your family doctor . If the person had a good memory and now cannot remember appointment dates,forgets something he just heard, and if he or she repeats the same thing over and over. (this could be a sign).
Trouble concentrating, or trouble following a plan or recipe. (can be another sign).
Trouble trying to drive to a familiar location, or having a hard time doing a budget that he or she used to do with no problems. Not remembering the date or what day it is. (could be a sign) having a hard time to follow a conversation  or joining in and if they do they repeat over and over.Losing things or misplacing them and cannot find them.The moods of a person with Alzheimers can change they get depressed, scared,, suspicious, If you have some of these signs it doesn't necessary mean you have Alzheimers, because as we age we do have memory losses. I remember once my computer was right near my kitchen stove and I had put eggs on to boil and was concentrating so hard on my genealogy that Poof the water ran dry in my pot with my eggs. What a mess!. My husband had Alzheimers his progressed fast. This disease is so very hard on the caregivers as the disease progresses, so to all you caregivers out there I can say this " I have been there, I know what you are going through" Take time out for yourselves you need it, go for a coffee break or to see a neighbor or take in a movie. There is help out there ask for it. I took care of my husband at home, I have no regrets and  I would do it all over again if I had to.
Now I created a few things that I thought just might be helpful for an Alzheimers Patient. They wander off, they get lost, and they can be out of the house before you know it. I created a couple of tee shirts, hat , and buttons or badges which would be ideal. When you purchase them, change the phone number to the number where you or someone can be reached. If someone spots your love one they can contact the right persons. You can find these in my tee shirts, buttons, and hat folders, and also I created a nice donation card if you are just a reader and want to donate to Alzheimers Societies in your neighborhood, you can find this in my greeting card folder look in invitations  all at http://www.zazzle.com/allicor*
Thanks for reading this , I have been wanting to blog about Alzheimers for a very long time.
Chow for now
Allicor (Aline)

No comments:

Post a Comment